Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
esledge
Forum Guests

by esledge Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:31 pm

Though the "as would" construction here is grammatically correct, it logically implies that the movement of the pearls is a reality. However, the meaning of the sentence indicates that this movement is "just an image". Thus the simile should be a phrase introduced by the preposition "like" and not by a clause introduced by the conjunction "as". As mentioned, the "as would" construction would imply that the movement is a reality, something which isn't correct.

Awesome explanation, thanks for the follow-up Pooja. It DID sound weird as I wrote it, even though it worked grammatically. The weirdness was due to the meaning. Many times on the GMAT, I am thankful that I get to simply chose the answer with the less risky/suspect phrasing.
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT

Like Vs As

by Guest Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:05 am

Margaret Mead, the best known anthropologist of the 20th century, helped shape public opinion on fundamentally important areas like attitudes toward children and family, along with the relative merits of competition and cooperation.?

Correct answer uses As.Why?
poojakrishnamurthy1

Re: Like Vs As

by poojakrishnamurthy1 Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:16 am

Guest Wrote:Margaret Mead, the best known anthropologist of the 20th century, helped shape public opinion on fundamentally important areas like attitudes toward children and family, along with the relative merits of competition and cooperation.?

Correct answer uses As.Why?

On GMAT, examples are always introduced by the construction such as or the idiom such x as y, where y is the example of x.

In the question, the correct answer would be fundamentally important areas such as attitudes .... OR such fundamentally important areas as attitudes...

The use of like to introduce examples is always incorrect on GMAT.

Hope this helps. :-)

by Guest Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:32 pm

Thank you.
JonathanSchneider
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by JonathanSchneider Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:26 pm

: )
HoNda

GMAT Like v.s. As

by HoNda Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:41 am

Hello everyone,

I would like to re-write the following sentence by using "As".

"Like other children in her neighborhood who were home-schooled, Joan sometimes missed being in a classroom with her peers."

Just as the other children in her neighborhood who were home-schooled, Joan sometimes missed being in a classroom with her peers.

Is the re-written sentence correct?
Misha

by Misha Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:43 pm

The rewritten sentence does not look correct, the "who" makes it odd and would sound better with it removed.

by Guest Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:35 am

I am confused

now pls, explain the meaning of 4 cases

1, I sing like her

2, like her, I sing

3, I sing like her playing tenis (question 126 OG 11)

4, I sing as she dose

4 cases are correct, what are their meaning
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:08 pm

Guest, I responded to the last query in another thread - please take a look at the other thread in which you posted this same question!

HoNda, the main noun in your "as" clause must be paired with a conjugated verb. Your example does not meet that requirement. The only conjugated verb, "were," is part of the "who" modifier.

You'd need to say something like: Just as the other home-schooled children in her neighborhood felt, Joan sometimes missed being in a classroom with her peers.

When you use "as," you are now indicating that the way Joan feels is similar to the way the other kids feel. When you use like, you are merely comparing Joan (one noun) to the other kids (another noun).
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
nash.avi

by nash.avi Thu May 14, 2009 4:50 pm

This thread is just brilliant stuff.
nash.avi

Re: The 4 Golden Rules for "As/Like"

by nash.avi Thu May 14, 2009 5:25 pm

poojakrishnamurthy1 Wrote:

4. Idiomatic differences: Used as (Correct) Used Like (Incorrect) / Regarded as (Correct), Regarded Like (Incorrect). There is just one exception (that I have come across) to the idiomatic constructions using the verb "act", where one has to infer the meaning before using "as/like". "Act as" is used when a function of an inanimate object is described. Eg. In the flood, the wall acted as a dam. However, "act" is followed by like to mean to behave or comport oneself and describes the action of a person. Eg. He acted like a fool.

I hope this post helps. :-)

Pooja

Eg. In the flood, the wall acted as a dam.

Shouldn't this be

In the flood, the wall acted like a dam.

Because there is only one verb "acted".
nash.avi

by nash.avi Sat May 16, 2009 12:13 pm

Disregard my post above.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:52 pm

I hope you meant that we should disregard your question, not your post that the thread is "brilliant"? ;)
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
srinivasreddy.c
Course Students

by srinivasreddy.c Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:00 pm

More than thirty years ago Dr. Barbara Mc-Clintock, the Nobel Prize winner, reported that genes can "jump," as pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another.

(B) like pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another

(C) as pearls do that move mysteriously from one necklace to others

I m not able to apply the rules I ve read in this thread to this question. How do I know if a comparison is real or not ?

"Genes can jump", as "pearls do" -- Am I not comparing two clauses here. "pearls do" is this portion of the sentence a clause in the first place.

What would the sentence look like if I rephrase it using "AS"
supratims
Students

by supratims Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:02 am

its B) according to me.

Whats the official answer