Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
rustom.hakimiyan
Course Students

Re: MGMAT SC

by rustom.hakimiyan Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:48 pm

I realize that there are other ways to eliminate D and E, but I have two specific questions regarding them:

1) The MGMAT CAT says that "is" refers to nations and therefore it's incorrect, but why can't "is" refer to France?

2) Can the "that" in E refer to France?

Thanks.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:39 am

rustom.hakimiyan Wrote:I realize that there are other ways to eliminate D and E, but I have two specific questions regarding them:

1) The MGMAT CAT says that "is" refers to nations and therefore it's incorrect, but why can't "is" refer to France?

• there are more than 4 countries in europe, so, clearly, we must be talking only about the 4 euro countries that do something.
if you try to attribute this modifier to france, then you're left with a sentence that seems to say there are only 4 countries in all of europe.

compare to the following (correct) sentence:
Louisiana is the only one of the 50 U.S. states that has a legal code rooted in French civil law.
• there really are exactly 50 U.S. states.
• louisiana is the only one (out of all 50) whose legal code is based on french law.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:41 am

also note that, if you want to write a sentence like the above, you need "the".
(louisiana is the only one of...)

if a sentence has the form "xxxx is one of yyyy", then it means that there are several yyyy's, of which xxxx is one.

--

the gmat won't contain a problem that depends on the presence or absence of "a"/"an"/"the", so you won't HAVE to know something like this. (e.g., you can also kill this one because it implies that there are only 4 countries in europe, as explained above.)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:42 am

2) Can the "that" in E refer to France?

Thanks.

".... that is/are xxxx" is a single modifier. so, this is the same question as your previous question. ("that" refers to whatever is the subject of "is/are".)
zeeshanf38
Forum Guests

by zeeshanf38 Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:08 am

Hello ron ,

So 'planning is modifying nations as per discussions above and also as per rules of -ing without comma.(-ing without comma modifies the thing just before it ).
So as per my understanding , the intended meaning of the sentence is that many nations are planning to provide fewer tax incentives but France is only one of them to do that .
tim
Course Students

by tim Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:03 pm

It sounds like your understanding is correct.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
JoeA599
Students

by JoeA599 Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:31 pm

Hello Guys,

i've chosen answer B during the exam for i thought that incentives is an uncountable noun.

I'm having a hard time in distinguishing countable from uncountable nouns, is there a simple way to identify them or should we just memorize them??

How can we count "incentives"? it's not a tangible thing

can we say: " the government is planning to provide 3 tax incentives next year?" (it doesn't really make sense to me)

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Joe