Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
laklucky
Students

MGMAT SC

by laklucky Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:46 am

According to the international investment memorandum recently signed in Geneva, France is one of the 4 European nations planning to provide fewer tax incentives for foreign investment in production of heavy industrial machinery.

a. planning to provide fewer
b. planning to provide less
c. planning on providing fewer
d. which is planning on providing fewer
e. that is planning to provide less

The above question is correct as is but while explaining why the option C is incorrect they have said that the idiom "to plan on" is wrong. I am posting another question below this where "to plan on" is right. Can you please let me know the difference?

According to a survey of graduating medical students conducted by the Association of American Medical Colleges, minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice in socioeconomically deprived areas.
(A) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice
(B) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than other graduates who plan on practicing
(C) minority graduates are nearly four times as likely as other graduates to plan on practicing
(D) it is nearly four times more likely that minority graduates rather than other graduates will plan to practice
(E) it is nearly four times as likely for minority graduates than other graduates to plan to practice

here the answer is C.

I have gone through the detailed explanation of the latter. I just want to understand whether "to plan on" and "to plan to" are both acceptable idioms depending on the context?

Regards,
Lakshmi
keanuxie
Students

Re: MGMAT SC

by keanuxie Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:56 am

IMO both plan on and plan to are idiomatic. In this case, however, plan to is more simplified.
gokul_nair1984
Students

by gokul_nair1984 Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:21 am

keanuxie is absolutely right . Both are acceptable idioms.

Plan on is followed by a participle:

eg: I plan on playing the piano tonight.
I plan on stuying history from tomorrow. et al....
Plan to also conveys the same meaning in a more direct manner.
eg: I plan to study tonight.
Given an option , I would choose plan to as it is more direct and has more gravity in comparison to plan on. However both are perfectly acceptable.
laklucky
Students

by laklucky Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:33 pm

gokul_nair1984 Wrote:keanuxie is absolutely right . Both are acceptable idioms.

Plan on is followed by a participle:

eg: I plan on playing the piano tonight.
I plan on stuying history from tomorrow. et al....
Plan to also conveys the same meaning in a more direct manner.
eg: I plan to study tonight.
Given an option , I would choose plan to as it is more direct and has more gravity in comparison to plan on. However both are perfectly acceptable.

then in the first question, why is c wrong?
gokul_nair1984
Students

by gokul_nair1984 Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:15 pm

gokul_nair1984 Wrote:Given an option , I would choose plan to as it is more direct and has more gravity in comparison to plan on. However both are perfectly acceptable.

Please go through what I just posted. I guess you just scrolled through it. GMAT is all about choosing the best option possible after negating the unwanted ones!!!

Hope this helps..
laklucky
Students

by laklucky Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:23 pm

gokul_nair1984 Wrote:
gokul_nair1984 Wrote:Given an option , I would choose plan to as it is more direct and has more gravity in comparison to plan on. However both are perfectly acceptable.

Please go through what I just posted. I guess you just scrolled through it. GMAT is all about choosing the best option possible after negating the unwanted ones!!!

Hope this helps..

:) thanks.
mschwrtz
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mschwrtz Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:59 pm

Good then? If not, bump with specific question.
mschwrtz
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mschwrtz Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:04 pm

About plan on: It is usually recorded as an acceptable idiom by books for English learners, as well it should be, since expert speakers use it often enough. It is not, however, much loved by more prescriptive grammar types, many of whom consider it nonstandard. I'd regard it with suspicion on the GMAT. It would not likely be what made an answer wrong, but it would be a pretty good hint that something did.
jssaggu.tico
Course Students

by jssaggu.tico Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:23 pm

PLEASE MAKE A NOTE: -

planning to provide--> Correct (Explains continuous action)
planning on providing--> Incorrect (Explains ambiguous/awkward action over action noun)

plan on providing--> Correct (Explains an indefinite action/eternally true)
plan to providing--> Incorrect (Explains ambiguous/awkward action--To providing is generally wrong)
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:47 pm

this looks good, Navjot..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
abhilasha.prasad
Course Students

by abhilasha.prasad Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:09 pm

According to the international investment memorandum recently signed in Geneva, France is
one of the 4 European nations planning to provide fewer tax incentives for foreign investment
in production of heavy industrial machinery.
- planning to provide fewer
- planning to provide less
- planning on providing fewer
- which is planning on providing fewer
- that is planning to provide less

Sorry to open this thread after a long gap. My question is regarding the usage of comparative adjective - "fewer" or "less" without "than".

As mentioned on page 130 (edition 4, sc guide) - "do not use comparative adjectives unless you have than in the sentence"

This sentence uses the comparative adjective(s) - "fewer, less"; however, "than" is missing.

Please advise when can we use fewer or less without than?
tim
Course Students

by tim Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:47 am

when none of the five answer choices offer you a "than"! :)
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
abhilasha.prasad
Course Students

by abhilasha.prasad Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:23 am

Thanks!
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:15 am

:)
Tim Sanders

AbhishekD643
Students

by AbhishekD643 Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:47 am

Here's the explanation why D is wrong:
(D) This answer choice also uses the less idiomatic construction "planning on." The singular verb "is planning" does not agree with the plural subject "nations." Additionally, the use of "which" is incorrect in this context. "Which" should only be used to introduce a modifier that is not integral to the meaning or structure of the sentence; here, the fact that France is one of the 4 nations planning to provide tax incentives is the main purpose of the sentence, and the omission of the language following "which" would result in an incomplete sentence.

I want to know why "nations" is the subject?
In sentences like "One of the X", isn't the subject is singular?