Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
tim
Course Students

Re: On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are

by tim Wed May 19, 2010 4:41 pm

Okay, first off I deleted the text of the problem because it shows up in the 12th ed OG. As for your question, this problem has nothing at all to do with the subject-verb inversion Ron was talking about earlier. The relative pronoun takes the place of the subject if necessary in the subordinate clause, so there is no inversion. And there is nothing wrong with "which" referring to a noun inside a prepositional phrase if that's the closest noun..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
wild_side
Students

Re:

by wild_side Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:55 am

RonPurewal Wrote:some things wrong with c:
* the placement of 'on earth' is just as problematic as in choice a (again, the sentence seems to be saying that residents of other planets disagree with us).
* 'as seen in the rings...' is a modifier that must be placed next to the thing that it modifies, which is 'the rate at which trees grow'. the way choice c is currently written, it says that indications of sunspot cycles can be seen directly in the rings - and it also implies that sunspot cycles (instead of trees) have rings!

Sorry to revoke the thread after a long time, but i was unable to understand a part of the explanation.

I understand how E is better than C in terms of On earth at the beginning makes it sound that the evidence is held only on earth and not on other planets.

BUT i dont understand how

as seen in the rings modifies the rate at which trees grow.

the rate at which trees grow, as seen in rings it dosent make sense. is the rate visible in the rings?

sunspot cycles, as seen in rings; even though it is wrong but at least it may be logical because sunspot cycles are apparently tree rings.

Please correct.
Thanks.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Re:

by RonPurewal Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:29 am

wild_side Wrote:
RonPurewal Wrote:some things wrong with c:
* the placement of 'on earth' is just as problematic as in choice a (again, the sentence seems to be saying that residents of other planets disagree with us).
* 'as seen in the rings...' is a modifier that must be placed next to the thing that it modifies, which is 'the rate at which trees grow'. the way choice c is currently written, it says that indications of sunspot cycles can be seen directly in the rings - and it also implies that sunspot cycles (instead of trees) have rings!

Sorry to revoke the thread after a long time, but i was unable to understand a part of the explanation.

I understand how E is better than C in terms of On earth at the beginning makes it sound that the evidence is held only on earth and not on other planets.

BUT i dont understand how

as seen in the rings modifies the rate at which trees grow.

the rate at which trees grow, as seen in rings it dosent make sense. is the rate visible in the rings?

sunspot cycles, as seen in rings; even though it is wrong but at least it may be logical because sunspot cycles are apparently tree rings.

Please correct.
Thanks.

i agree with your basic premise here -- i.e., that "the rate at which trees grow" is not something that is, in a very direct, literal sense, visible in tree rings.
however, the non-underlined part of the sentence contains "as seen in tree rings", so you have to decide: most closely, WHAT is visible in tree rings?
basically, there are two choices here:
(1) the rate at which trees grow is visible in the rings;
(2) the sunspot cycles themselves are visible in the rings.

although neither of these is literally 100% true -- neither a rate nor a cycle is literally something that you can see with your eyes -- there is no question that #1 is much closer to the literal truth than is #2.
i.e., the tree rings are a direct function of the trees' growth rate, so #1 is not that far off. by contrast, while the sunspot cycles may be an indirect cause of the tree rings, they are nowhere near as intimately connected to the rings as the trees' growth rate itself is.
vjsharma25
Students

by vjsharma25 Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:26 pm

Saurabh Malpani Wrote:
In this question how do I decide between A/E. I understand that Rate That is not GREAT but even surest indications on Earth of sunspot ( This means that a different earth exists that belongs to Sunspot cycles).

I have a question,which the very first poster has asked but its not been answered yet.

I rejected option E on the basis of " Earth of sunspot cycles".This is in correct answer choice but I want to know why this construction not producing any ambiguity? Just because other things are correct in this option,so should we assume that this kind of construction is also correct?
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:38 am

vjsharma25 Wrote:
Saurabh Malpani Wrote:
In this question how do I decide between A/E. I understand that Rate That is not GREAT but even surest indications on Earth of sunspot ( This means that a different earth exists that belongs to Sunspot cycles).

I have a question,which the very first poster has asked but its not been answered yet.

I rejected option E on the basis of " Earth of sunspot cycles".This is in correct answer choice but I want to know why this construction not producing any ambiguity? Just because other things are correct in this option,so should we assume that this kind of construction is also correct?

Actually, this has been discussed. Go back and read Ron's post, which is the fourth post in the discussion.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
s.ashwin.rao
Students

by s.ashwin.rao Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:52 pm

Can anyone explain why B is wrong?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:23 am

s.ashwin.rao Wrote:Can anyone explain why B is wrong?

among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are ... the rate of tree growth
subject-verb disagreement; the verb ("are") is plural, but the subject ("rate") is singular.

note that this is a backward construction, with the verb preceding the subject. the error here is the same error that exists in the sentence "There is two cars in the driveway" (although in that example it's the verb, not the noun, that is singular).
xyin
Students

by xyin Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:27 pm

Hey, Ron!

what kind of role does "As" play here?? Why there is no subject in the "as" phrase?
Can u give me a similar example about "As", as this question does?
"as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks."

Muchas Gracias!
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:23 pm

you could make up examples of this all day:

"Ron is an excellent GMAT instructor, as evidenced by his remarkable forum posts."
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
patelbhavesh_09
Students

by patelbhavesh_09 Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:22 pm

59. On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow, as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks.

A. On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow
B. On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are, it is believed, the rate of tree growth
C. On Earth, the rate at which trees grow is believed to be among the surest indications of sunspot cycles
D. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles, believed to be the tree growth rate
E. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles is believed to be the rate at which trees grow

can we eliminate B and D because it contains "tree" and not "trees", because it is given in non-underline part that "the cross sections of their trunks."
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:46 pm

patelbhavesh_09 Wrote:
can we eliminate B and D because it contains "tree" and not "trees", because it is given in non-underline part that "the cross sections of their trunks."

Good catch. Yes, I think you have to have "trees" since "their trunks" is in the non-underlined portion.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
saintjingjing
Students

by saintjingjing Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:12 am

tim Wrote:you could make up examples of this all day:

"Ron is an excellent GMAT instructor, as evidenced by his remarkable forum posts."

En, I know that "as + verbed" as modifer in this point. But how can I distinguish " as xxx." as modifer, and "as xxx." as conj , i mean "lead a sentence" (like "as + (subject =omit)+ xxxx")?

in fact, about this SC, I have a question --->
why I can not treat as seen in rings----->as (rate is=omit) seen in rings.. ?,or why have to treat it as a modifer?
saintjingjing
Students

Re:

by saintjingjing Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:48 pm

okay,
Last edited by saintjingjing on Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Re:

by RonPurewal Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:18 am

saintjingjing Wrote:In fact, I am puzzled about the usage of "noun, comma+ as +verb ed/ ing" like in this SC. can you tell me, thanks

i don't really know what you are asking. let's clarify:

* which answer choice(s)?

* what is your problem with it? (i.e., what do you think it should be doing, vs. what is it actually doing?)
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

by thanghnvn Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:27 am

pls, help.

comma +doing, refers to the subject of preceding clause

I learn gmat, making my English better

comma +ed (past particple of verb) , as inhere, refers to the nearest noun in the preceding clause, not to the subject of preceding clause.

Am I right?