Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
RonPurewal
Students

Re: SC : Despite the growing number

by RonPurewal Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:35 am

do not attempt to "edit" GMAC's answer choices. if you do so, you will ALWAYS create problems that are not tested on this exam.
JustinCKN
Prospective Students

by JustinCKN Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:58 am

RonPurewal Wrote:do not attempt to "edit" GMAC's answer choices. if you do so, you will ALWAYS create problems that are not tested on this exam.

Hi Ron:
All right. I will obey this suggestion strictly.

Thanks.
Sincerely.
Have a nice day! Ron.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:05 am

thank you.
SharayuR89
Students

by SharayuR89 Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:00 pm

Hi Ron,

First of all thank you so much for all your and the Manhattan team's effort to maintain this forum. I have learnt a lot.

For this question, I had followed the below POE method. I cancelled options B, C, and D just based on the fact that they don't contain 'convinced that' phrase. Then between option A and E, in option E 'fact that' is wordy, 'prefer x compared with y' is wrong; it should be 'prefer x to y', and usage of 'would' is wrong.

Can you please comment whether my reasoning is correct?
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:00 pm

Good job on seeing the correct idiom 'convinced that'. Saying something like 'I'm convinced she's guilty.' is just the kind of colloquial English that GMAT marks as wrong.

However, I would caution you not to eliminate an answer choice on the grounds that it's "wordy". Although that word is used in Official Guide explanations, it's actually too subjective to be useful. Answer E has some material errors: 'the number ... are', 'are convinced that ... travelers would' (it should be 'will'), and 'compared with', as you noticed. These are safer ways to eliminate E.