Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
sinhavis
Students

SC : Despite the growing number

by sinhavis Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:16 am

Despite the growing number of people who purchase plane tickets online, airline executives are convinced that, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers to automatic teller machine, many travelers will still use travel agents

A) growing number of people who purchase plane tickets online, airline executives are convinced that, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers to automatic teller machines, many travelers will

B) growing number of people who purchase plane tickets online, airline executives are convinced, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers to automatic teller machines, that many travelers would

C) growing number of people purchasing plane tickets online, airline executives are convinced, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers as compared to automatic teller machines, many travelers will

D) fact that the number of people purchasing plane tickets online is growing, airline execituves are convinced, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers as compared to automatic teller machines, that many travelers would

E) fact that the number of people who purchase plane tickets online are growing, airline executives are convinced that, just as obe-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers compared with automatic teller machines, many travelers would

Source GMAT Prep
OA is A.
I picked B. Please explain ?
RonPurewal
Students

Re: SC : Despite the growing number

by RonPurewal Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:37 am

sinhavis Wrote:Despite the growing number of people who purchase plane tickets online, airline executives are convinced that, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers to automatic teller machine, many travelers will still use travel agents

A) growing number of people who purchase plane tickets online, airline executives are convinced that, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers to automatic teller machine, many travelers will

B) growing number of people who purchase plane tickets online, airline executives are convinced, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers to automatic teller machines, that many travelers would

C) growing number of people purchasing plane tickets online, airline executives are convinced, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers as compared to automatic teller machines, many travelers will

D) fact that the number of people purchasing plane tickets online is growing, airline execituves are convinced, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers as compared to automatic teller machines, that many travelers would

E) fact that the number of people who purchase plane tickets online are growing, airline executives are convinced that, just as obe-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers compared with automatic teller machines, many travelers would

Source GMAT Prep
OA is A.
I picked B. Please explain ?

the easy way to eliminate (b) is to know that "would" is incorrect.

"would" can be used as a past-tense form of "will" -- for instance, i know that we will win translates into the past tense as i knew that we would win -- or to express a hypothetical situation that isn't true. neither of these is the case here; this is a prognostication of future events, so the future tense makes sense and the conditional ("would") doesn't.

the hard way to eliminate (b) is to realize that its construction - the placement of the commas and the word "that" - isn't right.
because of the placement of the commas and "that", this choice mistakenly puts "executives are convinced" in parallel with "1/3 of customers prefer...". that makes no sense.
in (a), though, since "that" precedes the comma, the parallelism is different: "1/3 of customers prefer..." is now parallel to "many travelers will...", as it logically should be.
ryan.m.doyle

by ryan.m.doyle Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:18 pm

Which is wrong with C?

Is it because it omits "who"? Is that necessary for A to be correct?

Or is it the incorrect idiom "prefer x as compared to y"

or both?
agha79
Course Students

by agha79 Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:35 pm

I am not clear on why C is wrong as well
anoo_anand
Students

by anoo_anand Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:10 am

Convinced that is the idiom..that's what i think makes C wrong.
manjeet.singh
Students

by manjeet.singh Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:57 pm

After Despite we need noun or noun phrase
I have seen same construction wrong in some og problem as well "Despite the fact"
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:56 am

agha79 Wrote:I am not clear on why C is wrong as well

there's one simple way to eliminate (c), and that's to notice that "prefer ... compared to" is redundant.
you should just say "prefer ... to", as the word "prefer" already encodes the idea of making a comparison. (for the same reason, "reply back", "free gift", "the reason is because...", etc. are all wrong as well.)

--

here's how to use "compared to/with" properly: (by the way, there is no meaningful difference between "compared to" and "compared with")

if you have a sentence that says "compared to/with" or "as compared to/with", then the sentence CANNOT also say a comparison word, such as more, less, greater, prefer, better, worse, etc.

to use "compared to/with", you just STATE statistics, without using any other comparison word.

examples:
this year's unemployment rate of 12% is three times as great compared to the rate in 1994 --> incorrect (redundant)

the correct way to write it:
this year's unemployment rate is 12%, compared to 4% in 1994
i.e., you just come out and SAY the statistics, and then give "compared to".
mandy.yuan.87
Students

by mandy.yuan.87 Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:15 am

Thanks Ron!

Could you please kindly elaborate more on despite in this question?

Thanks in advance!
tim
Course Students

by tim Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:24 pm

Mandy,
Could you please kindly elaborate on what you are asking Ron to do? :) Ron never discussed the word "despite", nor is it relevant to the outcome of the problem. If you have a specific question, though, we would be happy to help you..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
rafi.menachem
Course Students

by rafi.menachem Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:34 pm

Ron,
Can you explain why Despite the fact is wrong?
Or is that not wrong just because of that and more so because of the use of "would"
birlaka
Students

by birlaka Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:00 am

Hi Ron,

Just noticed something in choice A.

Choice A is comparing human tellers to machine. Is it allright to compare Plural to singular. In rest of the choices, human tellers are compared to machines

I know A is the correct answer choice so i am not trying to question the answer but still thought it's an observation for which i should seek claification.

Kapil
mschwrtz
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mschwrtz Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:06 pm

1) Prefer does not mark a parallel or comparison.

2) It's perfectly sensible to compare something plural to something singular.

3) In any event, parallelism does not require that parallel elements agree in number.

having said all that...

4) I would expect the OA to use tellers and machines or teller and machine in this sentence, though I would put too much weight on that expectation.

5) There must be a typo here. The relevant part of the sentence is written here as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers to automatic teller machine. That should be one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers to an automatic teller machine, or one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers to automatic teller machines. I suspect the latter.
mschwrtz
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mschwrtz Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:45 pm

That should read I would NOT put too much weight on that expectation.

Kind of an important word, not.
pushkalk
Students

by pushkalk Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:16 am

Hello,
Please change the option A to read "machines" instead of machine. Just encountered this question on G prep. The poster has made a typo here.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:17 am

pushkalk Wrote:Hello,
Please change the option A to read "machines" instead of machine. Just encountered this question on G prep. The poster has made a typo here.

done, thanks