Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

Re: The proliferation of so-called cybersquatters, people who re

by thanghnvn Fri May 09, 2014 5:55 am

rschunti Wrote:This question is from GMATPREP. I choose "E" but the answer is not that. Also what is wrong in incorrect options.

The proliferation of so-called cybersquatters, people who register the Interner domain names of high-profile companies in hopes of reselling the rights to those names for a profit, led to passing the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act in 1999,allowing companies to seek up to $10,000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent of selling them later.

(A) passing the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act in 1999, allowing companies to seek up to $10,000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent of selling

(B) the passage of the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act in 1999, which allows companies to seek up to $10,000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent that they will sell

(C) the passage in 1999 of the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, which allows companies to seek up to $10,000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent of selling

(D) the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act,which was passed in 1999, and it allows companies to seek up to $10,000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent to sell

(E) the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act,passed in 1999 and allowing companies to seek up to $10,000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent of selling

Ron, pls, continue help me with the following question.

we can see "doing" in only 2 cases, "doing" refer to a general action and "doing" refer to a specific action of a specific noun. there is no the third case.

we can infer the following.

in the oa choice C, "selling in phrase "with the intent of selling" is not a noun refering to general action because "selling" here has "them" as a direct object. dedicated noun can not have direct object. so, "selling" here must refer to a specific noun ("selling" here can be called "participle" but we do not care the name).

so, "doing" in "intent of doing" is alway refering to a noun. is that right?

Oxford dictionary gives us the idiom "intent to do " and I understand that "to do" in "intent to do" dose not need to refer to a specific noun. is that right?

that is the big different between "intent of doing" and "intent to do" . is that right?

Ron, pls, explain. Thank you very much.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 pm

"Intention" (noun) goes with "of doing". It doesn't go with "to do".

"Intend" (verb) goes with "to do". It doesn't go with "of doing".

These are idioms. That's the story.

On the GMAT these days, if you see an idiom like this one, it's probably there just to distract you from more fundamental issues with the sentence.
soulwangh
Forum Guests

by soulwangh Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:43 am

xiaolanjingheleaf Wrote:
RonPurewal Wrote:if you see a split between
* an -ING form that's used as a noun, and
* a dedicated noun form of the same action,
then ALWAYS pick the dedicated noun form.

Hi, Ron, I think the question in the following link is an exception for the rule.

[url] http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/pos ... tml#p60923
[/url]

I think the rule is to choose the best expression according to the need of the sentence.

Am I right?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Ron,

Have the same question as this student.
In the link, you said
"the joint adoption..." doesn't sufficiently indicate who is going to adopt the new regulations.
in general, ACTION NOUNS (adoption, destruction, etc.) don't imply that the subject of the sentence is performing the action; they usually refer to the general notion of that action.
by contrast, -ING forms do usually imply that the subject of the sentence is the actor.

here are two simpler sentences to illustrate:
i want to learn about adopting dogs --> implies that i actually want to adopt dogs myself.
i want to learn about the adoption of dogs --> i want to learn about dog adoption in general, but there is no implication that i actually want to adopt any canines into my own home.

I am confused with the boldfaced part and what you said in the quotation above. It seems that they conflict with each other.

Please help!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:13 pm

"always pick the action noun" is basically a guessing method—but it's a guessing method with a very high rate of return.

of course, it's better to understand the actual functions of these constructions. but, in GMAC's actual problems, nearly all splits between __ing's and action nouns are resolved in favor of the latter.
YilingZ421
Students

Re:

by YilingZ421 Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:12 pm

Hi, Ron
I am a little confused. Because I remember that you said if the structure is NOUN1+PREP+NOUN2, which can modify either noun1 or noun2. So I think which can modifY ACCPA, not modify 1999. I don't know whether I am wrong. Thanks
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:01 pm

I presume you're talking about answer B. I agree with you that the 'which' modifier issue is debatable. We can put another modifier between the noun and the word which in some situations. However, answer C provides a slightly better structure, as there can be no doubt there about the modifier. In any case, answer B has a problem with the idiom at the end of the sentence (see Ron's earlier post).