Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
rschunti

The proliferation of so-called cybersquatters, people who re

by rschunti Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:32 pm

This question is from GMATPREP. I choose "E" but the answer is not that. Also what is wrong in incorrect options.

The proliferation of so-called cybersquatters, people who register the Interner domain names of high-profile companies in hopes of reselling the rights to those names for a profit, led to passing the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act in 1999,allowing companies to seek up to $10,000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent of selling them later.

(A) passing the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act in 1999, allowing companies to seek up to $10,000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent of selling

(B) the passage of the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act in 1999, which allows companies to seek up to $10,000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent that they will sell

(C) the passage in 1999 of the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, which allows companies to seek up to $10,000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent of selling

(D) the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act,which was passed in 1999, and it allows companies to seek up to $10,000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent to sell

(E) the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act,passed in 1999 and allowing companies to seek up to $10,000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent of selling
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:55 am

choice a: 'passing' is a modifier that doesn't really refer to anything. in other words, we don't know the agent of this action (we don't know who passed the act). that's unacceptable; if no agent is specified, we need a noun form like 'the passage'.

choice b: 'which' apparently refers to the year 1999. 'the sole intent that they will sell' is incorrect idiomatic usage.

choice c (= correct answer):
- the phrase 'in 1999' is moved out of the way, allowing the relative pronoun which to be correctly placed next to the ACCPA.
- the proper noun form 'the passage' is used, correctly indicating the specific event referenced.
- the correct idiom is used ('with the sole intent of selling').

choice d: the event referenced is the passage of the act, as conveyed in the original (you can't change this meaning: for all we know, the act was written years earlier, but not passed until all the squatters came around). poor parallelism ('and it allows' is out of place). 'intent to sell' is dubious idiomatic usage.

choice e: as in d, you have to say that the presence of squatters led to the passage of the act, not to the act itself (you can't change the meaning of the sentence unless it's nonsense). also, putting 'passed in 1999 and allowing companies to...', while not exactly nonparallel, is just plain weird: you're putting one past event and one current condition in parallel. you shouldn't use parallelism for events that aren't logically parallel.
rschunti

clarification needed

by rschunti Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:55 pm

Am I correct in assuming following errors in choices "D" and "E"

choices "D" which rewritten as follows :-

The proliferation led to the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, which was passed in 1999, and it allows companies to seek up to $100000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent to sell

Pronoun "it" has no clear reference. as this can ambiguosly refer to either "The proliferation or "The Consumer Protection Act".

choices "E" which is rewritten as follows :-

The proliferation led to the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, passed in 1999 and allowing companies to seek up to $10,000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent of selling

Participle "passed..." can modify either to "The proliferation or "The Consumer Protection Act".
rschunti

update

by rschunti Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:57 pm

The above errors are besides semantic error that was pointed earlier.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:06 pm

In fact, the structure of D makes it seem that "it" should refer to proliferation: the proliferation of... led to X and it allows Y - the most common structure dictates that the subject applies to both items, and the subject in this case is proliferation. So, yes, I agree with you there.

I don't agree on point E, however. Now, we've got The proliferation of... led to X, (two noun modifiers) - those noun modifiers need to refer to the most recent primary noun, the Act. Notice that "it allows..." in D is not a modifier; instead, it is a separate independent clause connected by the conjunction "and."
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
H

by H Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:43 am

Hi Stacey,

Do you mean that "it" in D is not ambiguous even D contains two 'potential' referents for "it"?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:56 pm

H Wrote:Hi Stacey,

Do you mean that "it" in D is not ambiguous even D contains two 'potential' referents for "it"?

stacey agrees with you that "it" is ambiguous in the given context. in fact, she's going a level above simply agreeing with you: she's pointing out that not only is the pronoun ambiguous, but, moreover, the referent to which our logical brains are naturally drawn first is the WRONG one.

so she's basically saying the following:
(1) yes, the pronoun is ambiguous (this is enough to stop right here, btw)
(2) worse yet, the noun that's grammatically parallel to that pronoun - which would be the "default" antecedent in problems where ALL the pronouns are ambiguous (yes, this happens) - is the wrong one.
all colors and sizes of wrong.
H

by H Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:12 pm

Hi,

In fact, I am confused when I try to locate the antecedent of the pronoun (as a subject of the second clause in a "..., and ..." sentence), should the default antecedent be the subject of the subject in the preceding clause instead of the object, which is "closer"?

For example,
The Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act is caused by the proliferation of so-called cybersquatters, and it allows companies to seek up to $10,000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent to sell them later.

(I know that it sounds awkward)

Can it unambiguously refer to The Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act because we can assume that "and" forms a parallel structure?

Thanks in advance.[/b]
H

by H Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:16 pm

typo in my first question, rewrite:

In fact, I am confused when I try to locate the antecedent of the pronoun (as a subject of the second clause in a "..., and ..." sentence), should the default antecedent be the subject of the preceding clause instead of the object, which is "closer"?
jwinawer
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jwinawer Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:02 pm

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule. Better to simply not have the ambiguity by not having multiple possible antecedents, or by not using a pronoun. So in your example, the sentence would be better if you substituted "the act" for "it". But a heuristic would be that if you had parallel structures, then the pronoun would replace the noun in the corresponding location.
dps

by dps Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:24 am

and allowing companies to seek up to $10,000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent of selling

Is it true that above part in E is wrong because and is coordinating conjuction, so should be followed by independent clause?

by Guest Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:44 am

Nope, as above said this is adj modifier=> Only wierd but still correct

(E) the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, passed in 1999 and allowing companies to seek up to $10,000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent of selling

both "passed" and "allowing" can be used as adj modifier to provide more detail about the act. It do well in order to provide logical modifying. However, the best for gmat is parallelism in the voice such as active& Active / passive& passive. This is not the case for this chioce (passive& active), but it's still correct at least. Possibly, careless person could read as if The proliferation,..., led X and allowing Y and rules out this choice for this point.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:32 am

dps Wrote:and allowing companies to seek up to $10,000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent of selling

Is it true that above part in E is wrong because and is coordinating conjuction, so should be followed by independent clause?

if the gmat people are consistent, it's actually not wrong at all. there is an o.g. problem (#19, i believe) with this exact construction, involving one past participle (spawned) and one present participle (extending).
as a native speaker of english and a writer, i find that construction fatally awkward while i don't see the same degree of awkwardness in og#19, but there's no tangible way to explain that.

instead, i would eliminate this choice based on the way in which it changes the meaning of the original sentence: the original states that the proliferation of cybersquatters led to the passage of the law, whereas this choice says that it led to the law itself. those aren't the same.
elevinty
Course Students

Re: The proliferation of so-called cybersquatters, people who re

by elevinty Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:13 pm

Ron,
I didn't quite get your explanation for A: you said "passing" is a dangling modifier. In order for "passing" to be a dangling modifier it has to act as an adverb----->thus, we need an agent to do the action of passing. However, in A it's a noun and the object of "to".
?????
I think "allowing" doesn't have a clear agent, since "the proliferation" is acting as the agent of "allowing"
thanks
RonPurewal
Students

Re: The proliferation of so-called cybersquatters, people who re

by RonPurewal Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:44 am

elevinty Wrote:Ron,
I didn't quite get your explanation for A: you said "passing" is a dangling modifier. In order for "passing" to be a dangling modifier it has to act as an adverb----->thus, we need an agent to do the action of passing. However, in A it's a noun and the object of "to".
?????
I think "allowing" doesn't have a clear agent, since "the proliferation" is acting as the agent of "allowing"
thanks

well ... it's a subtle difference; when construction like that are used as nouns, they are normally preceded by "the".
however, the gmat does not explicitly test differences in the use of articles (a, an, the), so there will be other means of elimination.
in this case, notice that "passing" is contrasted with the dedicated noun form "passage".

the thing you NEED to think about is this:
if you see a split between
* an -ING form that's used as a noun, and
* a dedicated noun form,
then ALWAYS pick the dedicated noun form.

The performing of certain dance moves requires years of practice.
--> worse, though not technically incorrect
The performance of certain dance moves requires years of practice. ("performance" = dedicated noun form)
--> better

BUT
Every year, the running of the Boston Marathon attracts hundreds of thousands of spectators.
--> this is the best possible way here, since there is no dedicated noun form (like "runnage" or "runnation").